Monday, January 16, 2017

Word of the Year 2017

I've chosen my word of the year for 2017: practice.
It is not the word I originally wanted to choose. It came to me as I was on my knees, face to the floor, eyes closed, trying to calm my heart and dry a tear during a moving yoga class.
Every day when I wake up, I have the chance to start again, not just on the new year. I can practice being the best version of myself every time I wake up.
Every time I meet a friend or family member, any person, any animal, I can practice love and gratitude.
Every time I look in a mirror, I can practice acceptance and learn to love myself.
Every time I step onto my yoga mat, I have the chance to start something fresh and new, a new practice.
Every time I feel pain, I can practice being honest and vulnerable.
Every time I read the news, I can practice compassion.
Every time I wash clothes, I can practice folding them instead of ignoring them. Or I can practice giving things away.
Every time I listen to a song, I can practice singing. I can practice art, music, speaking, listening, friendship, trust, yoga, running, breathing, kindness, empathy, humility, appreciation, love.
Life is a practice, not a performance. We never have to be perfect, we just have to show up.
Live on, practice on. ❤️

No comments: