Saturday, June 26, 2010

What I'm Reading Now

I have been a historical fiction fan for years and am always on the lookout and the hunt for good ones.


Just recently I read the Josephine B. trilogy by Sandra Gulland and just loved them. I cried at the end of the third. What a sad but strong love Josephine and Napoleon had!


Right now I am reading Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross. It tells the story of a girl named Joan who grew up in the 800s between France (Frankland) and Rome. She pretended to be a boy and then a man because women were not allowed to be scholars, or indeed anything other than wives and childbearers. The book tells how she grew from child to woman (man) and became Pope.


No one agrees on whether or not Pope Joan is fictional or not but the book is fascinating. Here is the wiki page on her if anyone cares to read up on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan


So tell me, what have you been reading lately? Anything that you just love?




1 comment:

trisha too said...

I started the 44 Scotland Street series by Andrew McCall Smith. They're a pleasant, mellow summer read.

:)